Rendezvous in Seoul

As far as Zambian occassions in Korea come, this was probably the biggest. But then there have never been too many events in Korea with a Zambian brand. In fact the only one that comes to mind was when the Zambian National Soccer Team came to play a friendly match with Korea back in August this year. I missed the match then as I was in the Philippines. For the record they lost the match 2-1.

Just after it was confirmed that the Zambian president would be coming to Korea, there was a flurry of activity among Zambians here mostly through Facebook trying to find ways of meeting him and his entourage. I, then enjoying a self-imposed hiatus from the social network, would get constant updates from Sombo (my country mate here with whom we are at the same school). It was clear from the beginning that it would be difficult to meet the president. I read some online news publications that made it clear that the president's schedule would be so tight that it would be impossible to meet him. His tours of Samsung, The Blue House coupled with addressing the Korean-Africa summit would leave little room for an audience especially as it would be with a motley composition of less than thirty Zambian students in Korea.

It was a delighted me therefore that got ready to go to Shilla Hotel on Thursday evening, the news having reached me that our Minister of Foreign Affairs was willing to meet us. He may not be the president, I reasoned, but it would still make a difference to meet him. We are arrived just in time to see the red carpet being rolled out. There were introductions all around, I was shaking hands from every side and trying hard to recognize the ministers that had come with the president. The Minister of Commerce, Foreign Affairs Minister (who never even stopped to chat but seemed pre-occupied with something), different dignitaries all brandishing wide smiles. Then we were told to line up along the red carpet in order to shake hands with His Excellency the President or "HE" as everyone in his entourage seemed to prefer calling him.

We lined up pupil style, our hands stretched out. As the president emerged someone told him some students wanted to greet him. He looked up, saw the queue then without smiling began shaking our hands beginning with the first person to the last one. Then; he was gone, whisked away by the Limousine to the airport. It was a kind of anti-climax for me. Its not that I expected him to have a closed door meeting with me, but I guess I was looking for more. Perhaps asking me my name and what I was studying? I don't know. We also greeted the First Lady although she equally was in a hurry to get going.

To be honest the president looked tired and shorter than the television pictures had made me believe. He had traveled from Zambia to Japan and since arriving in Korea had been constantly on the road. For a man of his age, that must have taken a heavy toll on his body. Sadly the Minister of Foreign Affairs had vanished together with the president and I was left to moot on the accuracy of the information that he had actually wanted to address us.

To the rescue then, Honorable Sylvia Masebo, who seems to have more political lives than the proverbial cat.  I remarked to my friend that she seems to have been a constant in Zambian politics since the advent of multi-partism- ever on the winning team and when not, seamlessly re-adjusting and joining the winning team. You do not survive that long in politics unless you know the game, the right people or simply are a performer. Now the Minister of Tourism, she started making small talk with me about Chongwe, where I grew up, where she is also member of parliament.

Just at that awkward moment when small talk gets boringly predictable she led us to the lounge where we had a meeting of sorts in the presence of Post Journalist Joan (unfortunately I only got the first name). She went on about how we seated there were the future. That her generation had done their part and mostly failed (a rare moment of candor? you be the judge) and that it was time we put the lessons we are learning in Korea and other places to work in Zambia. Everyone joined in pouring forth about various aspects of development, at length talking about what was wrong in Zambia, from attitude to illiteracy, to politics to selfishness till I went into blah blah mode.

I had to admire Honorable Masebo and it dawned me just why she has managed to survive this long in politics. Firstly her people skills are second to none, she has somehow mastered the ability to smile a hundred times and nailing it every one of those times. When she talks, she sounds genuine, she connects on a personal level. As I sat on that couch next to her she was just a human being. I was never overawed that I was in the presence of a minister. Rather a fellow human being passionately concerned about the suffering of millions in Zambia just like I was.


Keith, you are the future.... so who is the present?

Commendable as her people skills are, what gets me is this whole talk of "you are the future blah blah, you need to come in and do your part..." that I have heard a thousand times before. Do politicians really believe in that kind of talk? Is it just something they feel obliged to say, in the same manner many say a prayer before eating? I ask these questions because their actions seem to be indicating the opposite. How many terms has honorable Masebo run for parliament? At none of those times has she ever said, "this is enough let younger people take over". Who has forgotten the drama she caused in 2011 when she lost to Mwakalombe, causing the poor guy to resign. Did she not see enough youth in him? Look at our politicians now. One would be hard-pressed to find twenty that are not past fifty and geriatric. The whole talk of youth empowerment sounds good to the ear. But without meaningful action in its direction, it will be just a song.

Anyone who knows me know hows much I love my country. How much I want to make a difference in my beloved country. I urge all to simply brighten the corner where you are. Politicians will divide when it suits them, they will antagonize when it suits them. To them it is just a game. Yet everyday that passes, with every trivial squabble over who is acting president, every parliament walkout over who is acting finance minister, every insult real or perceived responded- people are dying of hunger, of treatable diseases, children are out of school and the list goes. Let all of us do our humble part, it may not be much but will be deeply rewarding and will certainly make a difference.


Comments

Popular Posts