Book Review- Hired by Peter W Nawa

The first thing I asked Peter Nawa when I met him and purchased my copy of “Hired” was, “Why this book?” Surely the market was already inundated and drowning in all sorts of self-help books, get rich quick, ten steps to love, and so forth. The last thing it needed was an addition to the list.  There was only one way to find out; read the book!

I suppose in many ways this book is about mind-set, about attitude than anything else. You would think this is one of those “ten points to get you a job” books, just from looking at the title. However it is more aptly about key considerations for every graduate before you graduate or employees looking for fresh impetus and of course self-development. The book asks the question, instead of being hired, why don’t you hire? What is stopping you from being you? Is it societal boundaries that push you towards conformity, the palpable fear of the unknown, or is it about this script that you have painstakingly written for yourself? Whatever it is, this book challenges you to question conventional wisdom and reach out for your dreams.’



Do not be fooled by the “housekeeping” parts that include template CVs and cover letters, the fact that Nawa relies on anecdotes from his own life makes this a deeper book than what the face value might connote.

The book begins by first speaking to the undergraduate. In my view the best bit about this part is the challenge to students to begin thinking beyond their grades. This can be tough as often the pre-occupation with good grades can loom so large in one’s view that grades are often thought off as an end in itself (I know that from experience).

Hired, can be misleading, if you are one for judging books by their titles. I would like to think and certainly do feel that it is more than one of those one-dimensional prescriptive books in the mould of “Six steps to land your dream job “or any of those steps books that are swarming the market. It is not the voice of a Pentecostal preacher screaming “destiny!” and whatever new Pentecostal parlance is in place.

Rather it is a book whose chatty style sometimes bellies the fact the author at times has to dig through his very Zambian experiences to make a point. I am not talking about pointless anecdotes aimed at casting Peter in a certain positive light (if this is the case, then he does a very good job at disguising it), rather it is about sharing life experiences that show that with a little bit of actioned ambition, a lot can be achieved. You don’t have to settle and be happy with routine, unless your life ambition is to be as flat as a pavement tile, there is nothing special about your peers who seem be endlessly hoping from one great achievement to the other. You too can do it.

I read the glowing review of Hired in the Bulletin and Record and agree to a large extent with the piece. This is a Zambian, book, a Zambian experience and one with which many can relate to. I do not wish to harp on about what has already been said about the book.

If there is ever a weakness with Hired, it is probably in the fact that the title does little justice to the spectrum of both covert and overt issues the book deals with. This is not a book about how to get a job, in spite of all the template resumes and cover letters. It is about change of mind-set, and as Peter demonstrates, it is never too late for a fresh perspective.


There was a time when I read a lot of motivational books, till I got to a point where I said to myself there was nothing new I would learn from such books. “Hired” is the first motivational book I have read in a while. My overall feeling is that it is refreshing. I am not sure whether the reason for my reaching this conclusion is that the author’s career path mirrors mine in a number of ways (we are both PWC alumnus) or that the book basically expresses my beliefs regarding these things, all I know is that this book will invariably make a difference especially to those contemplating employment and those looking for that spark while stuck in one of those insipid endless cycles of mundane bland work.

Peter goes to lengths to try and put in a few disclaimers (along the lines "this is not Kanye West's work out plan). "I am not saying following what this book says religiously will land you your dream job etc". To which I say he should not worry. His point is well made, but then you never know.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts