Memories

In an instant the whole surrounding was transformed. It was covered with a huge white wash as the snow cascaded almost with a spirit of its own. Covering cars, trees roads and buildings. The photos I took looked like old black and white pictures. It was breathtaking just as it was cold.

Perhaps it is fitting that as my stay in Korea nears denouement the same snow that welcomed me should bid me farewell. The day I landed at Incheon is remarkable for two things. First the incredible cold and second the language problem. I met Gabisile at the airport and as soon we established that we were bound for the same destination resolved to travel together. All was well when we took the bus but after getting off, getting a cab proved a totally different challenge. More specifically getting a cab to go to where we wanted. After a number of hits and misses thankfully we arrived, with the taxi fare having more than tripled. I did my best to tell the driver that he was responsible for the inflation of the fare because he was the one who took us to three wrong destinations before finally figuring out where we were going, to which he nodded his head but never understood a thing.

So began my stay in this great country of South Korea or Korea Republic as the owners prefer calling it. During this time I have had great times and some not so great times. I remember attending Buddha's festival some time in February. I have never seen anything quite so spectacular. The  lanterns, the lit shapes, the fire art all added to the electric atmosphere. And as the various dance troupes from different monasteries performed their routines to the beat of traditional Korean drums, as the acrobats flipped back and forth in seamless patterns I couldn't help but feel I was witnessing something really special. I hope foreigners are filled by the same sense when they come to observe our ceremonies. When finally they invited everyone to take part in a long processional dance, I found myself jumping into the queue, my hands firmly clasped around some Korean's waist and jumping to the drums. All the time the television camera was on me and my other black colleagues as the Koreans basked in the knowledge that though we had language problems, the art and beauty of the Buddha festival had impressed itself on our minds. I have never danced so hard in my life and as the night wore on my inhibitions were cast away. I found myself taking pictures with Buddhist monks and in one photo making it a point to perch myself in between a group of them.




Me and the monks (real ones not the UNZA version)

I look back and wonder why we permit religion to divide us. It seems when we shed off our prejudices we are able to understand each other at an intrinsic level.

Then there was the Global Friendship tour organised by Hyundai. That trip left me both sad and motivated. I saw first hand the hard work that has made Korea gain such remarkable strides in development. The manufacturing plant at Asan is an epitome of the Korean spirit. The churning of machines, the steel mills, the brand new Hyundai's off the production chain and workers showing a dedication to work rarely seen in our parts of the world left deep impressions on my psyche. If only we could work as hard.




We proceeded to drive to the 2012 Expo in Yeosu. I visited the UN stand, Hyundai, Samsung but could not get into the Aquarium as it had been fully booked. Still what I saw was enough to convince me that our show organisers in Zambia have much to learn. Through out the drive across the breadth of Korea I was drooling at the wonderful pieces of engineering evidenced in the bridges, the roads, tunnels and ingenious ways of avoiding erosion. Simply put, breath-taking.

The global community in which I immersed myself deserves special mention as well. I met people from countries I had only seen on the world map. I remarked to friends once that the news now has faces. I could think of two or three people associated with any country that was in the news. It is an experience to savour.

The not so great moments are few and far between. Like the time my roommate and I were travelling from Yongsan. We decided to sit next to a Korean on the subway who made is his disgust known at sitting next to black people and stormed away muttering in Korean. The reverse was also equally irritating  I once sat next to a drunk Korean who made it a point to hug me every three minutes and mutter sweet nothings in my ear, in the process splashing saliva allover me. Occasionally he would pinch me softly just to convince himself I was not an apparition, I suppose. The cold was at times barely bearable as well. However, all in all it has been an experience like no other.

I have had wonderful intellectual battles in class with some brilliant minds. I rejoice in the knowledge that what I learnt at UNZA allowed me to hold my own and sometimes come out tops.I leave with the knowledge that I have done my best to maximise this opportunity. I live knowing what a privilege it was to study in Korea.



I have not yet made up my mind on whether I should go back. The world-class infrastructure and world-class professors are certainly alluring. But studying abroad is also about the cultural experience and frankly the Korean culture appeared to closed at times. I will therefore take my time before deciding where to do my PhD.

Meanwhile back in Zambia, I cannot decide which one is more irritating and annoying. Wynter Kabimba's statements or the insipid Post editorials. Happy holidays everyone.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts